Thursday, July 26, 2012

Egyptian couple marries via Skype video link


Alarabiya.net English

Long-distance: Mahmoud Mohammed Abdul Hafez said he took the decision to deliver his nuptials via a Skype video link from Dubai  rather than travel to his native Egypt. (Photo courtesy of 7DAYS)
Long-distance: Mahmoud Mohammed Abdul Hafez said he took the decision to deliver his nuptials via a Skype video link from Dubai rather than travel to his native Egypt. (Photo courtesy of 7DAYS)


By AL ARABIYA

Gathering with a few friends in front of laptop to get married may not be the best scenario to tie the knot.

But one man in Dubai believed it was the only choice he had.

Mahmoud Mohammed Abdul Hafez, a 30-year-old-accountant, said he took the decision to deliver his nuptials via a Skype video link because he was afraid of losing his job, if he had attended the wedding in his native Egypt.

Hafez feared to take emergency leave from work, “as he had only been working for the company for four months,” the UAE-based 7DAYS newspaper reported.
“I wanted my job but I didn’t want to lose my fiancé, so the only available option was to have the wedding conducted without physically being there.

“I am now happily married,” he told the newspaper.

Hafez, along with a few friends, gathered in front of a laptop webcam inside his Dubai apartment while in Egyptian city of Alexandria, his bride was joined by the couple’s parents and the local Imam.

“The Imam then conducted the Islamic wedding to officially pronounce the couple husband and wife,” the newspaper reported.

According to the news report, the wedding was organized through the Egyptian Embassy in the UAE and authorization was given to Hafez’s father to represent him and sign the papers in Egypt.

Hafez and his wife, 28-year-old Somaia Muhammad Zaki, had been due to marry last December. But after losing his job in April 2011, the wedding was postponed.

“We got engaged in February 2011 and our plan was to wed by the end of the year,” said Hafez.

“But when I lost my job everything changed. I was worried that her family would doubt my seriousness and give her to another man.

“When I got my job, the first thing on my mind was to get the wedding done and silence all the critics. I didn’t want to delay it because my fiance was getting worried too.”

The newlyweds now plan to hold a big wedding party in Egypt when he gets his annual leave at the end of the year, Hafez told the newspaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment