Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Mimi Raad: Women and men


A few years ago, a man would meet a woman, in some of our societies, and hardly exchange looks or words.(Illustration by Mimi Raad)
A few years ago, a man would meet a woman, in some of our societies, and hardly exchange looks or words.(Illustration by Mimi Raad)
Such a “cliché” topic. I couldn’t help thinking one more time about our differences few days ago.

I guess a few years back, a man would meet a woman, that is in some of our societies, at their parents’ place, or homes of relatives and friends, and hardly exchange looks or words. Sometime they would meet in public places with or without chaperon; and much later if a man could get over the dreadful father’s answer to the phone, talk to her over the phone for long hours…I still remember those delicious moments in my room, speaking or whispering some silly things…Then technology dropped more communication tools: Internet, mobile phones and all the various applications that allow instant conversation in various forms, sound, image and sound, chatting…you name it…I think we’re lucky to be able to witness such a great leap in human communication.
But nowadays any man is able to get in touch with any woman and tell her whatever he has on his mind. All these practical ways to communicate have a negative influence on men’s ability to court a woman, at least me. Or is it just me becoming really impermeable to their flat flattering?

I had this message on my Facebook page: “I will do anything for you.”

The only answer that crossed my mind was: “That’s good to know. Buy a one-way ticket to Siberia.”

Last time on the plane while reading peacefully a book, minding my own business, the man sitting next to me goes: “You seem like an unattainable goal.”

What did you expect me to say other than “You are correct!”

Or that other young man who used to be in the same classroom as me, and who spotted me on Facebook, sends me a silly message after years of silence: “You are the only person for me!”

I could only tell him “I wish I could say the same of you.”

A work colleague whom I see every day and who I thought was much wittier, said to me during a coffee break: “You dazzle me!”

I was spontaneous and answered him “Sadly, you don’t.”

I’m sure we all had our share of these sweet little stupid lines that make us Only human. What can I say…I’ll enjoy it while it lasts.

(Mimi Raad of Al Arabiya is an image consultant who also blogs at mimisfashiondiary.com. She can be reached at: mimi.raad@mbc.net. Ms. Raad, who is steadfastly single, wants her male fans to know that, despite her tendency of inflicting put-downs on suitors, she is immensely open to receiving witty bon mots and, of course, bonbons.)

No comments:

Post a Comment