Monday, December 5, 2011

How you dress says a lot about you

Monday
December 5,  2011
  Share Bookmark Print Email Rating
 
By Ciku Kimani ciku_kimani@yahoo.com
Posted  Sunday, December 4  2011 at  18:00
In Summary
  • Self-esteem: Dressing in outfits that scream for attention simply tells the world that you have very low self-esteem, and so we all dutifully feel sorry for you

I am a huge advocate of the “live and let live” school of thought; you can spend your life drinking alcohol and chasing rainbows, but if the way you live your life does not negatively affect others, the fact that we might not like the way you live should be irrelevant.
Unfortunately, most of the time, whatever we do affects other people so my theory, so to say, nullifies itself. Busy bodies who criticise how others live their lives irk me, as they are obviously disgruntled with their own miserable lives.
Contradictory or not, today, I am going to criticise, not exactly how people live, but how they dress.
Even with the best connections, I could never get a job as a high fashion cop, period. My idea of fashion has something to do with a pair of jeans, sneakers and a sleeveless top. Of late, I have added long free flowing dresses for reasons I shall not expound on.
Once in a while, I throw in a hat for good measure. Fashion, I believe, is individual. I know people who shake their heads in pity at my great fashion sense, but a good gesture deserves another, so I shake my head at their terrible fashion sense.
Live and let live is all well and good, but it would be naïve to imagine it is alright for people to dress anyway they like, anywhere. Wearing a bikini to church could only be as a result of insanity, so would high heels on the beach.
Tank tops on pregnant women is an abomination, same as tight T-shirts on heterosexual men. True, fashion has no hard rules, but it doesn’t mean it lacks common sense.
A couple of weeks ago in church, one of the ushers, a lovely ripe woman wore a very short skirt. I am no fun of one Pastor Ng’ang’a and his no trouser rule in his church, but I found myself wishing he were around to admonish her.
The short-skirted usher, who seemed to have very many tall male friends she needed to hug (thus her dress going up her thigh and exposing her further), distracted me and everybody within 20 feet of her. I caught a few beady eyed men, staring at her smooth thighs.
Whether she had deliberately dressed like that or not, I bet the devil rubbed his hands in glee, knowing full well that she would be his instrument in church, that a lot of men, and some women, would not catch the sermon in full as they would spend half the time thinking dirty thoughts.
I could excuse the girl and blame youth, but a week later, in the same church, we sat mouths agape, watching a middle aged woman majestically walk to the front seats of the church.
Nothing wrong with a middle aged women walking majestically to the front of the church, apart from the fact that she had a skirt shorter than the young lady’s a week before, and her top was tight and unflattering too.
She had “tires” that would give the Michelin man a run for his money, and with each step she took, the tires wobbled threateningly. I found myself counting the tires (they were four on each side), then I held my breath in fear, for they wobbled so much, they were surely going to fall on the floor.
To cut her some slack, she had the best legs I have ever seen on a woman her age, and I suppose there lay her problem. She has always flaunted them, but somewhere between 18 years old and 50 years old, she forgot she had dignity to maintain.
Maybe mid-life crisis is hitting her big time — she reminded me of a phrase I read somewhere, that wisdom does not necessarily show up with age, sometimes age shows up all alone.
Yes, live and let live, but remember, how you dress tells the rest of the world how low or high your self-esteem is. If your dressing is screaming for attention, then yup, we all know your esteem is on the lower side and we will all dutifully feel sorry for you.
ciku_kimani@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment