Libya - RFI
Article published the Saturday 05 March 2011 - Latest update : Saturday 05 March 2011
Pro-Kadhafi offensives beaten, rebels claim
A man injured in the Benghazi blastsReuters/Suhaib Salem
There was heavy fighting in Zawiya, 50 km west of Tripoli, on Saturday after pro-Kadhafi forces rolled into the city, with Arabic satellite channels reporting that they fired on residential areas.
Many people had been killed, he said, but was unable to give a total. A doctor speaking to Al-Jazeera TV gave a figure of at least 200 casualties.
The rebels claim to have captured two tanks.
Another pro-Kadhafi offensive against the key port of Brega has also been repelled, according to the opposition, with reports of 24 killed.
At least eight people were killed and more than 20 wounded in clashes in the oil town of Raslanuf, the AFP wire service quotes a doctor as saying.
And explosions at an arms dump in Benghazi have killed at least 27.
A rebel spokesperson said that they were unsure of the cause of the blasts and that about 40 people were on the site.
In other developments: